.... be a part of "Maitri"

Fish Curry (Kerala Style)

>> Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Fish curry with Kudam-pulli (Gamboge in English) is the staple food in most of the households in kerala & also it is one of the favourite dish of my husband. Whenever I prepare this dish I try to reach the level of perfection which my mom and my mother-in-law have in their version of fish curry. But I still find myself lagging somewhere. Anyhow Sree love my recipe and that's what counts for me. To be precise, my recipe is South-Kerala style where coconut is roasted with masalas. And yeah, they enhance the flavour of this dish.
The type of fish used in this curry matters a lot. Here, I have to manage with frozen tilapia or salmon fillets. Yeah! it's true that they are best when fried. I can't stop thinking about my mom's special fish curry where she used either matti or pomfret. Mom you're the best!!


Ingredients:

4-5 medium sized fish ( I've used Tilapia)
2 pieces Kudampulli
4 Green chillies (slitted)
2/3 cup grated coconut
6-7 Shallots (chopped)
3 tsp Red Chilly Powder
2 tsp Coriander Powder
1/4 tsp Fenugreek Powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 tbsp Ginger (chopped)
Salt to taste
2 tbsp Oil (I prefer coconut oil)
Curry leaves - 3 Sprigs

Method:

Take a pan. Heat coconut oil and add shallots, fennel seeds and curry leaves. Saute well. Add the grated coconut and green chillies. Saute continuously until it turns deep brown (it should not be burned). Now add all the masalas and take it off the heat. Let the mixture cool for sometime.
Grind the mixture till paste (avoid adding water while grinding). Keep it aside.

A shallow clay dish called Chatti or Manchatti is used to prepare this dish. But if not available, take a wide bottomed pan and heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add ginger pieces and fry for sometime.
Add some water, ground paste and put kudampulli into it. Bring it to boil. Lower the heat and add the fish pieces. Close the lid and simmer for 10 mins until fish is cooked. Adjust salt and serve with steamed rice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and do add yourself to "Stay Connected".

Related Posts with Thumbnails

All the content in this blog is

Protected by Copyscape Online Copyright Protection Software

  © Blogger template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP